Monday, November 7, 2016

Aussie Author Challenge: Book 11

For my 11th read in the Aussie Author Challenge, I decided to give Adrian McKinty's "Sean Duffy" series another go.  I read the first one and wasn't all that impressed, but I was interested enough to try again.  So, I read I Hear the Sirens in the Street by Adrian McKinty.

Set in Northern Ireland, during the early '80s, a particular grim time in this country's history, it seems like it would be a gripping setting for a detective series.  Plus, the series gets good reviews from other readers.  But..........

.................Sean Duffy and I just aren't connecting.  For me, both books aren't quite thrilling enough for a thriller, but aren't atmospheric enough for a good mystery.  There are little quirks of Sean Duffy, for instance, he's a music fanatic.  Well, this should work for me.  But, it doesn't because I feel like all the music references come from a music snob.  He likes to read too...but it seems like I'm supposed to be impressed with those literary choices.  I feel like the author is trying to make him interesting, but it falls flat to me.  I don't want it to.  If you've been around these parts, you know that I don't like to talk bad about books.  I hate to say it, but Sean Duffy, I am going to quit you.


http://bookloverbookreviews.com/reading-challenges/aussie-author-challenge-2016

It's the 7th year for the Aussie Author Challenge, and my 2nd year participating (click on the picture/link to take you directly to the site for more information).  My working book list is as follows:

Female Authors:

Male Authors:

Authors New to Me:

4 comments:

  1. Sometimes we just don't jive with books- nothing wrong with that. I appreciate that you list WHY this books doesn't work for you. That's helpful! Hopefully your next Aussie read is a winner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's such a bummer that y'all just didn't connect! I also don't like it when authors try to make the main character a little pretentious based on their reading or music choices.

    ReplyDelete
  3. quit away! i hate feeling like a character (or a writer, really) is like bragging on their choices or tastes. i'd rather just know the character likes to read or likes to listen to music instead of knowing their specific tastes, if that makes sense. plus i think it dates the book, and not in a good way. but that's just me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That stinks you weren't really connecting with this one but that totally happens sometimes.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, and I enjoy our interactions. I respond via email, but if you're a "no reply blogger", I can't. Don't think I'm ignoring you!