Sunday, April 3, 2016

Sunday's Seven Snapshots vol.67

Fun fact: I worked for the largest American importer for nails & screws. It's been 10 years since I sold nails, but old habits die hard. Take me to a hardware store, and I'm checking out their nail display. 

The stepkid had a school project building a ship from Australia's "First Fleet". Together, we learned some Australian history.  The ship he selected transported 49 female convicts from England to Australia (and one male convict).  Now, I'm fascinated with those women and their stories. 


This week, in the world of immigration, I had a day filled with socialized medicine bureaucracy.  I had a temporary card issued to me while my permanent residency visa is being processed.  Well, that card expired.  But, visa is still being processed.  Last notification said I "should" get an answer by the 30th of June for the visa.  So, I call to ask what I needed to do about my Medicare (expired) card.  Phone lady said she couldn't help (after I held for 23 minutes).  Told me to go to my nearest office.  Gave me an address based on my location.  I went to said address.  Nope.  Wrong office.  Told me to go to a different one, but verified I had the necessary paperwork.  Went to 2nd office.  Was told "nope", needed different/more papers.  Went to a Kwik Kopy and printed necessary papers.  Went back to office.  Sat in waiting room for 30+ minutes (thank goodness for a book in my purse).  FINALLY got my Medicare card extended UNTIL I get proper visa approved.  Then, I have to go back and do it all over again.  weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Silver lining... When I was sent to 2nd office, I got to stroll through Hyde Park, an exquisite oasis of a park smack in the heart of Sydney's city center. I took my time to enjoy the sights, and these pictures are evidence of that. 






My favorite secondhand bookstore/book exchange is closing.  The owner is retiring and offering books at half price.  Did I need to purchase any new books?  No.  I have plenty at home to read.  Did I purchase new books?  Of course.  And, I'm happy with these selected.  That was my first visit.  Good chance I'll go back again before the doors shut for good.

Happy Weekend to your & yours!

12 comments:

  1. I wonder if the ship he studied is the same one mentioned in one of my favorite books. In one of the Bloody Jack series' later books, she gets put on a ship with other female convicts and sent to Australia. Not sure if it was one of the first or not, but it was a interesting mix of fiction and history.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are in an interesting position, living in a country that you did not grow up in and that you did not learn that much about in school. I can relate on a much, much smaller scale having grown in West Virginia and learning WV history and now living in Kentucky where I don't know the basics such as the state bird, the state flower, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hyde park is GORG. way to see the silver lining in that mess of a story. ugh being an expat has it's share of issues! but you made the best of it :) your step son is so cute - yay for learning more about the history yourself too ha

    xoxo cheshire kat

    ReplyDelete
  4. My sister went though visa issues last year when trying to stay over the allotted time in Italy for her job, she thought for a while there she might have to move before her classes ended.

    The Collected Works of A.J. Fickry sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ew, what a headache with the visa stuff. It sounds like you kept a good attitude about it, though! Those park pictures are gorgeous and yay for books in your purse!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You HAVE to buy books when a store is closing - its just basic science :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read a really interesting book about convicts in England being sent to Australia. It's fiction, but I really enjoyed it and read it for class. The Secret River by Kate Grenville. And I totally would have bought books from the bookstore as well, that's a bummer that it's closing :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't believe all the chaos you went through to get your expired temporary card fixed! At least you got to walk through Hyde Park because those views are amazing! That sucks about the bookstore in your neighborhood shutting down, but it definitely sounds like you're taking advantage of their closing sale!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i'm sorry about your bookstore closing! so sad. i was hoping we could go used bookstore shopping! also very sorry about the medicare/immigration mess, but at least yay for a little while? lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, those bureaucracy issues are enough to drive you mad!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That park looks beautiful!!! And how fun that you got a little of your own history lesson while helping with a school project :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, and I enjoy our interactions. I respond via email, but if you're a "no reply blogger", I can't. Don't think I'm ignoring you!