Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Aussie Author Challenge: Book 5



I'm blaming the hype (or maybe something is wrong with me) but this book was just okay for me. In fact, I was ready for it to wrap up and finish.  I feel like I should apologize for feeling this way.  So many people adored this book.  I gave it 3 stars, and if I'm being honest, I probably did so because I'd feel guilty for giving it a lower rating since so many others loved it.  Yes, I do fall to peer pressure from time to time. 

I don't like bashing books or talking negatively about books that others enjoy, because I want others to maintain those fond feelings.  I want to refrain from my criticisms.  But, that wouldn't be reviewing a book, would it? 

I felt like I was supposed to really care for these characters and get invested in their stories, but I didn't.  Maybe I'm heartless.  (No, I'm not.)  I think Alice's sister's (see, I finished reading it 3 days ago, and I can't even remember her name) story of her struggles with infertility was the most well-developed story.  But, it wasn't enough to make the book feel complete for me. 

Sorry Alice lovers!


http://bookloverbookreviews.com/reading-challenges/aussie-author-challenge-2016

It's the 7th year for the Aussie Author Challenge, and my 2nd year participating (click on the picture/link to take you directly to the site for more information).  My preliminary book list is as follows:

Female Authors:

Male Authors:

Authors New to Me:

11 comments:

  1. I didn't love this book either. It was okay. It was like there was some big air of mystery to most of it and it just didn't follow through for me. Alice had a pretty easy life (compared to her sister) so I couldn't understand what she was so overwrought about.
    I liked Big Little Lies the best, and The Husband's Secret was good too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everyone really seems to love this author but I haven't picked up any of her books... I don't usually read realistic fiction. (Is that a genre? I just mean I typically read historical fiction or sci-fi stuff because I don't need someone's added realistic stress and emotions on top of my own... ha.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel like that sometimes - like The Martian - when EVERYONE & their momma loves a book & I'm like, Meh :) Its why there are THOUSANDS beyond thousands of books out there - something for everyone :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did love this book but not every book is for everybody, I just finished a book that got great Goodreads and online reviews and I gave it a 2. It just didn't do it for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've only read one book by Liane and it was OK. I've tried two others and they just don't hold my attention for long and I give up. I have far too many amazing books on my shelf to waste time on a so-so book!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh sad face. i totally rate books higher because i feel bad that i didn't like something that everyone else loved. but there is not a single book in the world that will please everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awwww I am so sad you didn't love this book, but you know what...no book can please everyone. So I totally get it. There are some books that people just gush over and I read what it is about and I am like ummm really??? Why is everyone making such a big deal about this?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't read anything by Liane Moriarty, but I really want to. I'm sorry you didn't like this one. I've heard nothing but great things, so I'm still curious about it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Agree this isn't one of her best. My favourites are Big Little Lies and The Husband's Secret. The Hypnotist's love story was pretty good too though I didn't like the hypnotist :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. This has been on my list forever. I love Liane Moriarty so I'm still curious about it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so sorry that you didn't enjoy this book! I loved it so much and it's probably my favorite Liane Moriarty book!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, and I enjoy our interactions. I respond via email, but if you're a "no reply blogger", I can't. Don't think I'm ignoring you!