Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Fall Film Challenge 2015

I'm a self-professed book challenge junkie.  My friend, Jenn, she likes the written word, but she's also a big fan of moving pictures.  Do you like movies?  Do you like challenges?  Do you like to make lists?  Then, join Jenn's Fall Film Challenge and play along.  You can also check out her blog post about the challenge here.  It doesn't begin until September, so you have plenty of time to get your list together.


I participated last year, and I think I got 3/4 of the way through the challenge, which is pretty good for me.  I like movies.  I do.  I just don't watch them a lot.  When I do, they seem to be with my 7 year old stepson, so there's a lot of super hero action in my movie world the last couple of years.  So, creating this list was not easy...but it's supposed to be a challenge, right?



 one. any set in new york city.  – Taxi Driver

two. any incorporating hot air balloons in the story. – Casanova (2005)

three. any that features a child as the main character. – Empire of the Sun

four. any disney film. – Big Hero 6

five. any set in egypt OR have an egyptian character OR star an egyptian actor/actress. – American Sniper

six. a close friend or family member's favorite film. – Dedication

seven. any with the word great in the title. – The Great Raid

eight. any starring harrison ford. – Paranoia

nine. any that features an idiot as the main character. – Talladega Nights

ten. any mentioned in levis strauss' list: denim in the oscars: a look at jeans in cinema. – No Country for Old Men

eleven. a film about a knight. – Kingdom of Heaven

twelve. a love story. – 500 Days of Summer

thirteen. a movie about something miraculous. – The Martian

fourteen. a film starring an actor/actress with the same first name as yours. – We Need to Talk about Kevin

fifteen. a film about the Olympics - Foxcatcher

sixteen. a film on time magazine's list: the top ten newspaper movies. – State of Play

seventeen. a movie with a question in the title. – Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf?

eighteen. any film with a score of ninety percent or greater on rotten tomatoes. – The Sapphires

nineteen. a film about a superhero. – X-Men: Days of Future Past

twenty. any film with subtitles. – The Girl Who Played with Fire

twenty-one. any incorporating unicorns in the story. – Stardust

twenty-two. a film about a personal victory. – The Judge

twenty-three. a film with black or white in the title. – Snow White and the Huntsman

twenty-four. any set in a country you would most like to visit. - Unbroken

twenty-five. a film set in a zoo. – The Wild

Updated from original list



Do you have an opinion on any of these films?  Do you have a better suggestion for a certain category?




28 comments:

  1. Big Hero 6 is SO GOOD.
    I actually enjoyed Talladega Nights and I love all the X-Men movies no matter how ridiculous they are.
    Jarrod and I couldn't get through Snow White and the Huntsman, which was disappointing because Chris Hemsworth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to see The Martian! I've gotten really into the book now, it's much less slow going. There's only one movie where I know the main character has the same name as me... (plenty of Maddies, but only one Mattie) and it's True Grit. Have to agree with Breenah, Big Hero 6 was so good. I also liked the Judge & the Sapphires.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the X-Men movies and I can't wait to see The Martian even though I haven't read the book yet. There are so many categories, I don't think i would finish but you have some great movies on your list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's two movies a week, heather. you got this. come ON. :]

      Delete
  4. I am IN. You know I love me some movies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and i am SO, SO glad to have you playing along. YAY!

      Delete
  5. We Need to Talk About Kevin is fucked up to the 23849273th degree. Read the book, first, too if you can and haven't already. I cannot wait for The Martian! Unbroken, The Judge and Big Hero 6 were great, too. I have mixed feelings about American Sniper.

    I'm not sure if I could do this challenge. Over the summer definitely, but the fall is questionable. It'll be fun to follow along with you, though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my! This sounds right up my alley! I might have to partake in this! :) Plus it would give me an excuse to FINALLY watch a lot of the movies on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i am weird with movies. on one hand, i love them, and on another i rarely watch them. i make no sense. i have seen a lot on your list, and i CANNOT wait to see the martian.
    meanwhile, that first gif with hugh dancy giggling in the background made me giggle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that IS hugh dancy. i couldn't figure it out. probably because i was distracted by fey and poehler gorging on popcorn. :]

      Delete
  8. I never watch movies, if someone else turns one on I will watch but I never choose to watch a movie when I'm on my own. I have seen Big Hero 6 though thanks to my daughter, it was cute.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh man, this would be rather hard, I don't tend to have much time to watch movies at home but during the fall, it may be doable. I'll have to look at the list & see what I can come up with. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so out of it on my movie watching game! Out of all the movies you mentioned, I have only seen Talladega Nights, Sad right? I totally want to see The Martian when it comes out though! I loved the audiobook!

    ReplyDelete
  11. this martian flick... how does everybody know about it but me? what the h e double l?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hands down, We Need To Talk About Kevin is one of the BEST films I have EVER seen! I have the book too. It's such a fucked up story! I should seriously do a post like this. Because I have a ton of movies I want to see. Old and new.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I could get on board with this! I should think of my list, what I could possibly watch. Without totally copying yours. Hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  14. I dont have fall but heck yes I want to do this!!! hhaha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. heck yes! i like your enthusiasm!

      Delete
  15. What a cool challenge! My goal for fall is to definitely watch some more movies so I need to check this out! Thanks for sharing! I loved 500 days of Summer! I only watched The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo so far (the Swedish one) so I need to check out this one as well! Loved the books!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The Judge and American Sniper were both really good. I liked Prefontaine but I loved the Billy Crudup version called Without Limits, so much better. This is a fun challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just read about this challenge on Stephanie's blog today, and came here to check out your list. I'm very tempted to join in because it sounds like fun, but I know it's going to be hard for me to come up with movies for each of these categories. (Though, as you pointed out, it IS a challenge!)

    I've seen several of the movies you've listed. I loved We Need to Talk About Kevin (I still haven't read the book, though, even though I bought it at least a year ago!) and 500 Days of Summer. I just watched Taxi Driver pretty recently and it was ... Weird. Not bad, just not what I expected. No Country for Old Men is pretty good as well, though I wouldn't call it a favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Not sure how I missed this post! I rarely watch movies, but I'm intrigued! I saw The Girl Who Played with Fire (after reading the book) but it was the US version so no subtitles. I want to watch the original triliogy though. And YES to The Martian- the book is on its way to me now!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Big Hero 6 and No Country for Old Men are amazing! As is X-Men: Days of Future Past.

    I've been wanting to see We Need to Talk About Kevin for a really long time and haven't seen it yet... I've heard nothing but good things.

    Love your list!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love you list!! The X-Men movies are my favorite!! And I can't believe you've never seen Talladega Nights!!! He's such an idiot but I LOVE that movie!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great choices! I loved American Sniper! Enjoy :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. American Sniper is such a brilliant film, sad but great. Brilliantly done and Bradley Cooper does such a great job of portraying the character he is playing. Such a great list, you'll love Taxi driver and 500 days of summer.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, and I enjoy our interactions. I respond via email, but if you're a "no reply blogger", I can't. Don't think I'm ignoring you!