Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Aussie Author Challenge 4.5.6

We had a four day weekend throughout the Easter holidays.  I kinda read a lot.  So, the next two posts of mine are going to be all about books!  If you're not a bookworm like me, you may want to ignore me for a couple of days.

Strange Places by Will Elliott - Written by a young author who is a diagnosed schizophrenic and has been hospitalized several times after psychotic episodes. Part memoir, part diary, Elliott does his best to tell what he remembers of his reality including paranoia, delusions, visions, hallucinations, and suicidal tendencies. The peak inside this madness was raw and fascinating, and there is some interesting insight about treatment and the effects of pharmaceuticals. Thankfully, Elliott received treatment (and continues to).  Although, Elliott never physically harms anyone else, this book shows the very real possibility for a delusional schizophrenic to become violent.  Even though the subject matter was interesting, the book was just alright to me.

On a side note: He has a work of fiction that has won several literary awards; I think I'll avoid it (demonic killer clowns), but if that's your thing, take a look. - The Pilo Family Circus.






Graffiti Moon by Cath Crowley - a YA book about a dreamy teenage artist chasing a mysterious graffiti artist.  She envisions him to be everything she wants in a boy - one who is imaginative, creative, loves art - and is convinced if she can uncover his identity and find him, they will be perfect together.  It sounds a little far-fetched, and it is...but, it's a cute book.  Quick and easy; I read this in a day.  I enjoyed the themes of self-acceptance, chasing dreams, young love, positive relationships with mentors, and weird/different is good.












Frantic by Katherine Howell -  I was roaming around a secondhand bookstore that I frequent, and the owner recommended Katherine Howell to me after she saw that I like crime/mystery/thriller books.  I read the book she recommended and enjoyed it, only to discover that there are eight books so far in a series that features Detective Ella Marconi.  I thought I'd go back to the first to see where it all began.

The author, Howell, is a former ambulance officer, and she threads together crimes and mysteries that follow the lives of the investigators, victims, and paramedics.  Plus, they are based in Sydney or Sydney suburbs, which is an interesting twist to recognize places and locations througout the story.  In this particular book, a paramedic's life spins into panic and desperation after her police officer husband is shot at their home, and their infant baby is kidnapped. 

If there is a lesson to learn from this book, it is spouses should talk and communicate or bad things that are happening could turn into much worse things. 


I read these books as part of the Aussie Author Challenge 2015:

Since moving to Australia, I've discovered bands and music that I love as well as books and authors that I knew nothing about before moving here.  Why not join a challenge that promotes those discoveries?  (Because I'm already in three other challenges, and I host one of them)  I can do it!


http://bookloverbookreviews.com/reading-challenges/aussie-author-challenge-2015
I'm diving in to this challenge with the hopes of reaching "Kangaroo" status.  I'm really liking my list, so I'm happy to find yet another the challenge.
KANGAROO
– Read and review 12 titles written by Australian Authors of which at least 4 of those authors are female, at least 4 of those authors are male, and at least 4 of those authors are new to you;
– At least 6 fiction and at least 2 non-fiction, and at least 2 titles first published in 2014 or 2015.

Female authors:
Saving Francesca by Melina Marchetta
Frantic by Katherine Howell - Completed 06 April 2015
Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty (published 2014)
Girl, Defective by Simonne Howell

Male authors:
I Am the Messenger by Markus Zusak
The Rosie Effect by Graeme Simsion (published 2014)
The Narrow Road to the Deep North by Richard Flanagan
A Long Way Home by Saroo Brierley (non-fiction) - Completed 10 Feb 2015

Authors new to me:
Graffiti Moon by Cath Crowley - Completed 3 April 2015
Strange Places by Will Elliott (non-fiction) - Completed 2 April 2015
All That I Am by Anna Funder  - Completed 29 March 2015
Stolen: A Letter to My Captor by Lucy Christopher - Completed 11 March 2015
 

2 comments:

  1. You know how much I love getting book recommendations! They all sound interesting but especially #1 and #3! i will add them to my list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was in Australia I read a ton of Aussie authors! Love this and can't wait to read more Aussie reviews.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, and I enjoy our interactions. I respond via email, but if you're a "no reply blogger", I can't. Don't think I'm ignoring you!