Tuesday, May 13, 2014

List #11 - 1980s Movies

Rolling Stone magazine makes lists too.  Most often, I don't agree with their lists.  Then again, I don't expect anyone to agree with my lists either.  Mine are personal and totally biased.  RS is supposed to be a reputable magazine with knowledgeable writers and researchers on staff.  That being said, this list of theirs "The 25 Greatest Movies of the 1980s" is the result of a readers' poll.  So, if they got it wrong, blame the ones that took the poll.  I happen to think it's a decent list representing '80s movies.


A friend of mine (who is a fantastic blogger and movie aficionado as well) created her own list.  (see it here)  She posed the question "what's your list look like?".  My list was LONG.  So, I asked her how to cull it.  She told me to think about how the movie made me "feel" after watching it.  Good point.  Also, she talked about the fact if she is willing to watch the movie again and again.  Second good point.  With those two points in mind, here's MY list of The 25 Greatest Movies of the 1980s (in no particular order; that was just asking too much of me):
  •  The Outsiders
  • Urban Cowboy
  • Grease 2 - Yep, don't argue with me about this one.  It is probably the single movie that I've seen the most times in my life.  Give me Stephanie Zinone & Michael Carrington over Sandy & Danny any day! 
  •  Fast Times at Ridgemont High
  • Pretty in Pink
  • Sixteen Candles
  • The Breakfast Club
  • St Elmo's Fire
  • Less Than Zero
  • The Lost Boys
  • Dead Poet's Society
  • Footloose
  • Purple Rain
  • Dirty Dancing
  • E.T.
  • The Fox & the Hound - my all-time favorite Disney movie; it still makes me cry.
  • The Princess Bride
  • The Color Purple
  • Steel Magnolias
  • Terms of Endearment
  • Mask - (don't confuse it with the '90s Jim Carrey crapola; this is the 1985 gem with Cher, Eric Stoltz, and Sam Elliott)
  • The Natural
  • Field of Dreams
  • Rocky IV
  • Raiders of the Lost Ark

I look at my list with fond memories.  Even the tearjerkers have a way of making me smile.  As Truvy in Steel Magnolias says: "Laughter through tears is my favorite emotion".

Disagree with my list? - Tell me your faves!





1 comment:

  1. mine's in order of awesome. and that, m'dear, was a much bigger bitch than the culling was. but kudos to you for whittling it down. and i like your list, too. :]

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, and I enjoy our interactions. I respond via email, but if you're a "no reply blogger", I can't. Don't think I'm ignoring you!